In choosing an antenna you want to use for transmission or extending a wireless network range, there are several things you need to determine. I found this list of questions somewhere on the internet (which I copied down when I was trying to decide on an antenna for purchase, but forgot to take note of the source) that will help in the antenna selection process:
- What is the operating frequency range of the system?
- How much gain is required?
- What kind of radiation pattern is desired?
- What is the maximum allowable VSWR?
- What polarization is required?
- What type of connector interface is required?
- How much power will the antenna have to handle?
- Where will the antenna be mounted?
- Is a radome required?
- What is the lifetime of the antenna?
Yup, that’s it.
Photo Credit: michaelstyne